Saturday, January 18, 2014

New Project!



The Book of Mormon is amazing. Its miraculous origin, its spiritual power, and the human stories within it combine to make it one of the most powerful and exciting books ever written. I love the Book of Mormon, and one of my greatest passions is in telling its stories visually.

I will be graduating in December from art school at Brigham Young University, and for my final project (on display this May) I have decided to do a concept art exhibit about the life of Captain Moroni (The Book of Mormon, Alma 43-Alma 62). Moroni was the Chief Captain of the Nephite armies, and saved his nation from the brink of destruction more times than Spiderman, remakes included. I've loved his story ever since I was a kid, but was surprised to find that it's never been visually explored to any great depth. There have been some gorgeous individual paintings, a short film produced by the church, and even a 1978 comic book version in the Church produced children's "Book of Mormon Stories", but never has the story been treated to a re-telling at full depth or scale.  Even The Living Scriptures, which has told virtually every other Book of Mormon story in their fantastic animated films, has left the story of Moroni untouched. In the past, it's just been too big—both for the imagination and to handle on a reasonable budget. At the moment, I'm not up to the fiscal challenge of financing a full-scale trilogy about the life and career of Captain Moroni. However, I feel technology has caught up with imagination to the point where I can at least visualize it. Here's a taste of some of my preliminary work:


Basically, the idea is to create concept art (design a look and feel) for an imaginary film trilogy about the campaigns of Captain Moroni.






Several of the characters in the exhibit will be modeled in 3d and printed out as physical statuettes. Above is a model of the Bible's David that I did as a test last summer. Below is the same model, printed out 3 dimensionally in plastic. For more information on this piece, see the post on my professional art blog.



I'll post more as it develops, keep your eyes peeled! 


No comments:

Post a Comment